Listen To Your Heart

The third Saturday of the month is something I look forward to because it’s the Writers and Editors Network breakfast meeting. Where else do I get to socialize while eating breakfast with like-minded people? Last Saturday, we were graced by the presence of Ava Lee series author Ian Hamilton.

I don’t recall Mr. Hamilton’s advice or even if he gave any. I do however recall his story. After returning home from the hospital where he underwent a life-saving procedure, he followed his heart. He was no longer interested in his career as a businessman, but he was interested writing. With a seed planted in his mind during his hospital stay, he had the beginning of a story and all he wanted to do was tell it. From there, he found himself with one complete novel and writing a second while beating on the doors of publishing houses and agents. He did find an agent who managed to sell his books, secure a contract for more to be written, and some movie rights!

At times, we struggle so hard to create something out of nothing and other times, it just falls into place.

Do you think it was destiny or good luck? Would you give up your career to pursue your passion without any guarantees of positive results? Have you ever followed your heart?

About these ads

, , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Ellen Gregory on March 22, 2012 - 6:45 AM

Love the sound of your Writers and Editors breakfast meeting! Great story – maybe it will give the nudge I need to get moving again.

• #2 by Patricia Caviglia on March 22, 2012 - 3:59 PM

Write on Ellen!
      Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

2. #3 by corajramos on March 20, 2012 - 7:55 PM

I love inspiring stories like this, it rejuvinates my resolve to write.

• #4 by Patricia Caviglia on March 20, 2012 - 9:10 PM

I agree!
      Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

3. #5 by Carrie Daws (@CarrieDaws) on March 20, 2012 - 4:06 PM

After watching an uncle count down for 10 YEARS to retirement because he hated his job, I’d much rather step out in faith and follow my heart (smartly, of course). And yes, we did this when we got pregnant with our first child — I changed jobs for a fraction of the salary but it was flexible, part-time and I could take her with me. Tough, but really good decision.

• #6 by Patricia Caviglia on March 20, 2012 - 9:33 PM

That’s an admirable risk. Then again, when you know it’s the right thing for you, I’m not sure you see it as a risk.

4. #7 by Darlene Steelman on March 20, 2012 - 1:39 PM

Wow — this is so inspiring! Thanks for sharing this story, Patricia. :)

• #8 by Patricia Caviglia on March 20, 2012 - 2:21 PM

You are very welcome. I love stories like this because I do believe that we each know intuitively what is right for us. However, we don’t always listen.
      Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

5. #9 by Caroline Kaiser on March 20, 2012 - 7:21 AM

It was a wonderful talk, and I enjoyed that he was so modest about his accomplishments.

• #10 by Patricia Caviglia on March 20, 2012 - 2:24 PM

Good point! Mr. Hamilton was very modest. He seemed so comfortable in his new found success like it is just the place he is at in his life right now and there’s nothing to prove.
      Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

6. #11 by Patricia Sands on March 20, 2012 - 12:43 AM

He did have an interesting story, didn’t he? Great to see you there!